There are TWO Burbank versions of Hunchback of Notre Dame. Burbank was an animation studio in Australia. It started in 1982 under the name Burbank Films studios. In 1991 the studio was restructured and became known as Burbank Animation Studios. It stopped making animated movies in 2002 but is currently does Tv shows like Roddy the Rooster (2016).
Burbank made one Hunchback in 1986 and then made the second one in 1996. The only reason why Hunchback got two versiona is because of Disney. The first wave of Burbank movies were literary influenced children videos. They were all adaptations of books whereas the second way were all Disney knock-offs which explain much.
The 1986 version for what it is does follows the book fairly closely. It also doesn’t insult your intelligence with its dialogue. It seems to have a respect for the source material even if there wasn’t much a of a budget.
The 1996 version was trash. There is nothing in it worth noting or is memorable. It’s not even bad in that “so bad it’s good” way. It’s just inoffensive litter. Maybe the only thing worth saying is that it followed the 1939 version with a slight nod to the 1923 version but that’s it. And I have said that NUMEROUS times so instead let’s just quickly compare the two. If I miss anything share in the comments.
- The 86 version has a red tone whereas the 96 is more brown.
- 86 Esmeralda wears yellow and red and 96 Esmeralda wears white and purple with a touch of teal.
- Both versions of Frollo wear red but the 86 version is still a priest whereas 96 is a public official.
- There is no official Gringoire in the 96 version
- Both versions have Esmeralda and Phoebus as pairing but the 96 verison makes them more of a couple in love.
- There is no king in 86 version.
- The 86 uses English accents and the 96 use French accents.
- There is no Djali in the 96 version
- 86 Quasimodo has more lines and sentences than the 96 version of Quasimodo, even though both versions are deaf.
- No version has a proper Feast of Fools. The 86 version just bypasses a celebration and the 96 unapologetically has New Year’s 1600.
I just want to add that the 86 version gives Esmeralda amazing cheekbones. I’m sure I missed stuff.Follow thehunchblog